Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Defining Your Life

Recently on Facebook there's been a flurry of activity, guess it's always been there but have become very aware of it of late, the Me as victim, the victim of life, hard luck woes, the ill person as the hero.
 
 
I fought this battle a few years ago though I never thought of it as a battle, it just was, either I was going to live or die.  Dead was easy, all worries gone, living which was what happened was the less desired choice at the time though I'm enjoying breathing now that that did happen.  Never once did it occur to me to announce any of this across the Internet or to ask others to share in my burden, there was loss of my business, times with no food etc costs were so astronomical, but that's life.  I did bribe a nurse at the hospital with some lovely strawberries I was given for a real cup of coffee and I did ask my real life closest friend to come get me outta there so I could have some decent food and a cigarette.
 
 
I wrote today on one of the bevy of Cancer statuses I've been seeing around Facebook to share that I absolutely refuse to define my life via this.  I hope that my life will be judged as I judge myself through living with integrity, a moral backbone and respect for others.  One thing I'm very sure of and I'm not sure of a lot is that I didn't become some sort of saint because I had a few tumors cut out of me and it didn't justify any of my past bad behaviour, I was responsible and accountable when I lived my life a certain way just as I am for it now that I think I live it 'better'.

2 comments:

  1. It's unfortunate that things like "integrity" tend to get in the way of things like "compassion" and "forgiveness". It's a shame that more people can't live up to your high ideals. I'm not even going to try.

    ReplyDelete